Thursday 1 October 2009

Remembering Sandy

It's hard to believe that it has been 4 years since you crossed the Rainbow Bridge... seems like just yesterday.

SANDY - Fall 1994 - Sept 22, 2005





After wanting a dog for as long as I could remember, I finally adopted my first dog from the SPCA in February 1995. Sandy was about 6 months old when I got her. I loved her with all my heart and she was very devoted to me.

When Sandy was about 1 ½ years old she developed a seizure disorder that was fairly well controlled with medication. At about this same time she also began to have many issues with fear and aggression. I spent many years learning about how to deal with her issues. I took obedience classes, worked with her, and consulted experienced dog owners, trainers, and Vets.

The best thing I ever did with her was agility. I was looking for a fun dog activity that would also help with her issues. That is how I met Shirley and Diane. Sandy and I only got as far as Advanced Beginners II / III and we never did enter an agility trial. Several times we repeated classes at the same level, but it didn’t matter. We were both having fun.

Agility classes helped Sandy much more than any of the other things I had tried with her. It helped to decrease her fear and aggression and she made friends with people and other dogs. I learnt how to manage her issues while continuing to have her in the agility classes which we both loved. I am so grateful to Shirley and Diane who helped me to be able to do this.

Eventually Sandy’s aggression issues escalated to the point that I had to make one of the most difficult decisions ever. On Sept 22, 2005, Sandy crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

Rest easy, my girl
All is now well.
Play and have fun
At the Rainbow Bridge.
I will love you forever
And I know I will see you again one day.

2Woofs: